Another billionaire visiting Titanic wreck in wake of OceanGate disaster

The 2023 Titan submersible implosion left five people dead.

Aug 20, 2025 - 08:00
 0  3
Another billionaire visiting Titanic wreck in wake of OceanGate disaster

Just two years after the Titan submersible disaster, another billionaire is making a journey to the Titanic wreck.

Details of the upcoming expedition are not known, including when it will take place or who the mystery billionaire is that will be taking the journey, but the company in charge of the deep-sea dive says it's a recognizable name who wants to make the announcement that they are the first person to go since the tragedy.

Patrick Leahy, the CEO of Triton Submarines, said his company is in the process of building a new, commercially available submersible capable of withstanding the journey to view the wreckage, which is 12,000 feet below the surface of the Atlantic Ocean.

In 2023, a submersible from Washington state-based company OceanGate embarked on a journey to view the Titanic. Officials spent four days looking for the submersible until evidence of an implosion was found.

OceanGate co-founder Stockton Rush was among the five people who died. The other victims were Paul-Henri Nargeolet, Hamish Harding, Shahzada Dawood and his son, Suleman Dawood.

A report from the U.S. Coast Guard released earlier this month found that the disaster was "preventable," and that some of the company's safety procedures were "critically flawed."

What's Your Reaction?

like

dislike

love

funny

angry

sad

wow